Ketogenic or Keto Diet for beginners, Diet is of interest to all of the people who want to lose weight. Because it focuses mainly on eating fat To stimulate the body to switch energy systems (mostly) from carbohydrates to fat instead.
Many people understand the concept of eating fat instead of carbohydrates. But still wondering if Exercises such as jogging, yoga, and weight training require carbohydrates. It is the main source of energy. And if you only eat fat It will have side effects Or loss of muscle mass.
Today We discuss Everything, you need to know about the Keto Diet for beginners has been gathered in this article.
What is a Ketogenic (Keto) diet?
A keto diet involves eating a high fat, moderate protein diet. And low carbohydrates or called Low-Carb, High – Fat (LCHF).
That we have been low in carbohydrates. Usually, less than 25 grams per day puts the body into ketosis, which causes the body to use fat as its main energy instead of sugar and glycogen.
While the body is in ketosis The body produces ketones in the liver by digestion of fats. And then converted into energy instead of carbohydrates. Simply eating keto causes your body to burn fat instead of carbohydrates.
Eating keto is not dieting.
It is just a change in the proportion of carbs in the body of the keto diet for beginners. Then replace it with a lot of fatty foods And moderate protein When we eat fewer carbs, our glucose levels drop and our insulin levels go down.
Types Of Keto (ketogenic) diet for beginners
Each person has different needs and goals for starting a keto diet for beginners. Therefore, there are a variety of keto recipes or forms to choose from, and here are 33 popular keto eating patterns. Your friends will choose whichever recipe, depending on your goals. But in the beginning, the formula for the keto diet for beginners, 1 should be used for the first time, especially if you’re just eating keto for the first time.
1. The Standard Ketogenic Diet ( SKD )
Eating keto in the SKD format is the most common standard of treatment for the keto diet for beginners. It is an easy and effective method for losing weight. By focusing on these things:
- Eat lots of fat (good fats) to get 70-80% of your calories each day.
- Eat about 20-25% of protein.
- 5-10% carbs.
This formula will suit runners and exercise enthusiasts. Including those who are looking for a way to lose weight within a short time.
2. Targeted Ketogenic Diet ( TKD )
This is the 2nd type of keto diet for beginners. During this TKD formula, We eat keto almost every day. But will eat the specified amount of carbohydrates at once In the 60-90 minute pre-workout period, it’s like combining Formula 1 and Formula 2, giving us the carb for the workout. But it doesn’t get us out of ketosis, that is, eat the carbohydrates and we use them all immediately.
But there is a rule that… Before using this formula of the keto diet for beginners, you must have been eating keto for 6-8 weeks or your body may be out of ketosis from the first two weeks.
And when we load the carbs, we choose to eat foods that are easy to digest. And has a high glycemic index (GI, glycemic index, glycaemic index) and during Post-workout (eating after exercise) we eat protein foods. To assist in muscle repair and recovery After that, go back to eating keto as before.
This recipe will suit for Beginner runners who want to take keto diet and intermediate runners.
3. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet ( CKD )
This formula is a 3rd type for keto diet for beginners different from the first formula in that there will be a period when we load more carbs, there will be both when we eat fewer carbs. And during which we load the carbs It is formulated only for athletes and bodybuilders who want to start a Keto diet (not for everyone).
- There will be during the day that we eat no more than 40 grams of carbs.
- And there will be a day when we eat up to 400-500 grams of carbs per day to add glycogen for use in exercise. This will be a period of 24-48 hours.
The benefits of Keto Diet for beginners ( Benefit’s Of Ketogenic EATING )
After we got to know what a ketogenic diet is Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of eating keto on our body. Here we discuss all of the benefits of the keto diet for beginner.
1. Help to Lose Weight
Eating keto is one of the most effective weight loss methods. That’s because the body will have to burn fat until it causes weight loss. And have a better shape Our body becomes a fat-burning machine. It is a method that works according to research for the keto diet for beginners to lose weight.
The study divided the subjects into two groups:
The low-carb group and the low-fat diet. After six months, the keto diet for beginners lost as much as 4.5 Kilograms compared to the other group, So, we can say that the keto diet for beginners is the best way to lose weight.
2. Helps to Control Blood Sugar Levels
The research found Volunteers who followed a low-carb diet had less appetite. And it was found that eating a keto diet for beginners is good for patients with early diabetes. And people with type 2 diabetes.
When we eat less carbs Glucose levels are also limited also Makes it possible to control blood sugar level.
3. Helps with Mental Issues
If you are the beginner of the keto diet and you have mental issues eating keto provides energy to the body, Also gives energy to the brain When we eat less carbs We can avoid spikes in blood sugar. It helps us to concentrate, focus well and have a clear mind. The research also found that Adding to the high-fat diet will have a positive effect on brain function.
There is a false belief that Eating keto increases cholesterol, leading to heart problems and more.
** But the truth is **
- The belief that .. Vegetable fat and meat It is the culprit of an increase in cholesterol.
- Current research has shown that Eating keto improves cholesterol levels. It also makes the heart healthier.
Researchers have been published in the British Journal of Nutrition by researchers curious about how keto diet for beginners affects cardiovascular health. Including good fats And the results of the research are satisfactory. The researchers found Eating keto, which is a low-carb, high-fat diet increases your body’s good fat content. And to reduce the number of bad fats When compared with other methods of losing weight.
Other benefits to the body (It is a finding from research)
Here is the list of other benefits of keto diet for beginners such as:
- Good for Heart
- Reduce the chance of getting Cancer
- Brain Injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- And so on…
Who should not eat keto?
If you want to start or you are the beginner of the keto diet and you have the symptoms listed below, you should not take keto. Anyone who wants to try keto should consult a doctor first.
- People with allergic reactions to drugs such as Insulin, Sulphonylureas, and Glinides.
- Women who need to breastfeed.
- People with blood pressure problems.
- People with gallbladder disease.
- People who have had bariatric surgery.
How to start beginners for eating Keto?
It’s important to know before starting keto. Is the basis for eating keto Which has a very simple rule that is Eat lots of fat, moderate protein, less carbs.
How do I get into ketosis?
If you are begginers of Keto diet, The body going into ketosis You may have to take keto for several days or even weeks. In eating less than 20-30 grams of carbohydrates per day, there are also physical factors, exercise intensity, body type, And the food we eat So each person will take different time.
What to eat by beginners that meets the keto diet?
Eating plans must not be too restrictive. But it does not mean that it will be able to eat everything on its way. When it comes to keto eating, eating vegetables can help to reduce weight.
Let us focus on green leafy vegetables and vegetables that grow above the ground, such as broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Great keto-friendly fruits are avocados and berries. And beware of fruits with the high GI.
List of foods for Ketogenic (Keto) diet people – The perfect guide for beginners
Here is the list of foods for Keto diet for beginners :
- Meats: Red meat, steak, lamb, sausage, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey and more.
- Fatty Fish: Salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel, and more.
- Eggs: Eat whole.
- Above-Ground Vegetables: Broccoli, Cauliflower
- High-Fat Milk: Hard cheese, butter, high-fat cream.
- Nuts and Seeds: Walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, macadamia seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Low- GI Foods: Avocados, raspberries, blackberries.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheeses such as goat, cheddar, blue, cream and mozzarella.
- Healthy Oils: Extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil.
- Condiments: Salt, pepper, spices and some herbs.
- Sweeteners: Erythritol, Stevia, Hang Guai, Low Carb Sweeteners
What are some things that we should not eat as we beginners of Keto diet?
Remember .. be careful with carbohydrates! You must not eat more than 20-30 grams of carbs per day if you are beginners of the keto diet, your body will not be able to go into ketosis when your body still has glucose to burn.
List of foods that should not be eaten!
- All Grains: Such as wheat, oats, rye, millet, corn, rice, barley, millet, spinach, etc.
- Cereal Products: Bread, pasta, pizza, crackers, cookies, and more.
- Sugar and Desserts: Cakes, honey, maple syrup, ice cream, and more.
- Sugar-free or low-fat products: This can affect ketone levels.
- Flours or Grains: Pasta, rice, cereals.
- Factory-based fish and pigs: Low in nutrients and high in omega 6.
- Alcohol: Sweet wines, beer, cocktails.
- Fruit: Except avocado and some berries.
- Tropical Fruits: Mango, Pineapple, Papaya, Banana, and more.
- Legumes and beans: Such as red beans, elephant head beans, etc.
- Vegetables that sprout underground: Carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc.
- Bad fats: Vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Refined oils: Such as safflower oil, sunflower, soybean, cottonseed oil, corn oil.
Snacks for Keto Eaters
In case if you are the beginners of the Keto diet and you of very hungry symptoms Before it’s time to eat the main meal Then have to eat these snacks first that best for the keto diet for beginners:
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Almonds and nuts
- 1 avocado sprinkled with salt and pepper
- Fried green beans
- String Cheese (cheese for filling like pizza It’s low in calories)
Matters to pay attention to
Remember .. the less carb we get, the more, The sooner we go into ketosis. But if we are runners who have to run several kilos a week Should eat more carbs. (But have to eat before exercise) that should be followed by a keto diet for beginners.
Proportion of Food for the beginners of Keto Diet
- Eat fats (good fats) for 70-80% of your calories each day.
- Eat about 20-25% of protein.
- 5-10% carbs
:: Let’s say we eat food to get 2,800 calories per day. It will turn out to be
- Eat 270-300 grams of fat
- 105-140 grams of protein
- 35-70 grams of carbs
And how do you know that… Are we in ketosis now?
How to check for ketosis of the body?
The Keto diet for beginners also shows some symptoms that should not be ignored. Here is the check list that measure the effect of ketosis in a body.
1. Urine test
This is a method for checking the ketone levels in the body. Anyone who is currently taking keto can go to have a urine test to check the ketone level. But not always the results will be reliable. Because it will show the excess keto excreted only through urine Not having a direct blood test.
2. Blood test
This method comes at a cost. But it is definitely the most sure way to check ketosis in the body.
3. See for other symptoms
- Changing mood And alertness level
- Increased urination
- Increased dry mouth and thirst (Keto eaters need to drink more water Do not let the body dehydrate)
- Bad breath and breath odour
- Fall asleep easier
- Decreased appetite
- Have more energy What better focus
How does eating keto affect running performance?
Runners will be concerned that Eating keto reduces running performance. That is understandable. Because anyway, carbohydrates are like a runner’s friend. Because it is an important energy source
But what happens when we stop eating carbohydrates and go to keto fully ? But when the body begins to adapt Running performance will return to the same. Which experts say it takes 3-4 weeks
We will feel that it is really harder to run. But it was only during the first few weeks We will feel tired every day. Because our bodies get less carbohydrates But that is part of the process. And we have to continue to be patient if we really want to take keto seriously.
Therefore, during the first keto diet Let us reduce the distance each week, run more slowly, or walk at all. And during this time we will eat more fats from plants and animals. Eat moderate amounts of protein, drink lots of water.
When should I not take keto diet if I am the beginner?
For the keto diet for beginners, There are also have some exceptions to those who have to do some form of explosive muscle training, such as a weightlifting competition. Or a fast race If in the process of preparing for the competition The number of carbohydrates that can be eaten and remain ketosis may also be higher than the recommended daily intake. In such cases, consume 20-30 grams of digestible carbohydrates such as fruit and preferably 30-60 minutes prior to exercise. This will help ensure that your muscles have sufficient glycogen during exercise or The competition.